The sound of white paneer curry is very interesting to me. Paneer (Indian cheese) is a very sophisticated ingredient and can make any dinner look special. I love to work with paneer as some of the best dishes that I have ever made are with paneer. This one is made with coconut milk. I don't hate coconut but I prefer not to prepare dishes with coconut a lot because they are high in saturated fat. But its ok to indulge in them once in a while. If you enjoy the taste of coconut you would like this side dish.Wanted to make something special for the Curry Mela hosted by Cooking 4 All Seasons Srivalli for the month of August.
Heavy bottom panMixing spoon
Paneer - 450 gms
Fresh Cream - 3 Tbsp
Coconut Milk - 1 tin
Yogurt - 3 Tbsp (not sour)
Water - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1 Tbsp
Onion- 1 cut into small pieces
Green Chillis - 1
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp /or freshly grated 1 tsp
Cashew and Kas Kas (poppy seeds) powder - 2 Tbsp
Kasthuri Methi - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Jeera Powder- 1 tsp
1. Dry roast kas kas and blend it with cashews.
2. Heat the pan allow the butter to melt and add onions and cook them well with a pinch of salt until the color changes and becomes pale. Add ginger, garlic and green chillis(please remove seeds if you want to go low on the spice) and cook for 3 minutes.
3.Add (chilli, cumin, garam masala, cashew& kas kas) powder and kasthuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and cook for 3 miutes.
4. Add curd and allow it to disappear.
5. Mix 1/4Th cup coconut milk with water and add it to the pan and allow it to boil for a few minutes on low flame and test for salt.The sauce will start to thicken.
6. Add the rest of the coconut milk and fresh cream and cook.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve it hot with roti, naan or rice.