Came upon a Dosa Mela at Cooking For All Seasons by Srivalli and I decided to send in my grandmother Babu Ma's Oats Dosai that my father fondly remembers his mother preparing for him when he was a child.My father has been asking me to try it out for a few months and I decided to do just that and add it to my recipe collection. Since I have never seen my grandmother its my fathers recollection of the ingredients and I decided to play and experiment with it. If you are looking for crisp dosai, please add more rice flour or rava.
Dosa Making Tava
Oats (rolled or quick ) - 2 cup
Rice - 2 Tbsp
Buttermilk/Yogurt - enough to soak and cover the Oats.
Green Chillis - 2
Asafoetida- a few shakes
1. Add the rice and oats into a bowl carefully seeing to it that all the husk if any is removed. To this add the buttermilk or yogurt which can be a little sour ( if you like the sour taste) and allow it to soak for 20 minutes.
2. When soaked pour it into a blender and grind well.
3. Add salt, asafoetida, chopped green chillis,cilantro and a little water to get the dosa batter consistency.
4. Heat the Dosa Tava and start making dosa.
5. End result will be a delicious, nutritious dosa.
Note: This dosa will not be crisp. It will be a little soft and very tasty. Chopped Onions etc can be added too.