Ever since I started to upload my recipes into this blog I am going crazy preparing dishes and photographing them. Next time you bump into a person carrying a camera and taking pictures of food items it could be me. I was truly very happy when my sister called me and asked me to bake a birthday cake for her son on Thursday. I decided to make this black forest cake for him the next day. There are a lot of ways to make this cake, but I decided to make life easy for me and use the cake mix and try something new.
Baking pans 2 9 inch
Electric hand held mixer
Bowls - 2
Off set spatula
Parchment paper - 2 circles
Chocolate cake mix - 1
Heavy whipping cream - 1 pint
* NOTE: Please use whipping cream that has over 35% fat content for the frosting to stabilize and set well.
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cherry - 30
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Eggs - 3
Water - 1 1/4 cups
Oil - 1/3 cup
Chocolate bar any kind you prefer 1 bar.
1. Take a large bowl and add 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white, vanilla essence, water and oil and whisk it until they all mix well together.
2. Remove the cake mix from the box and tap it to remove all the clumps and then add to this liquid mix.
3. Beat this mixture for 1 minute on medium speed and to a higher speed for another 1 minute.
4. Prepare the pan as usual with parchment paper and divide the cake mixture into 2 equal portions and place it in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, remove all excess water from the cherries and save about 10 for decorating the cake and the rest chop them up into small pieces.
6. Add the whipping cream and sugar to the bowl and whip the cream so that it will leave the sides of the bowl and the cream is stiff. Put them in the freezer.
7. Once the cakes are baked allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes.then using a knife go around the cake.This helps in removing the cake nicely. Place your hand on top on the cake and invert the pan to remove the cake.
8. Put some whipping cream to the cake board and then place this cake on the top.Then add some whipped cream on top. Spread it out and add the cherries that are cut over it.
9. Place the second cake on top of this and add the remaining cream on top and spread it with an offset spatula all over the cake. Place the cake in the fridge for the cream to set.
10.Meanwhile take the chocolate bar and using the grater, grate the chocolate and keep them in a bowl.
11. Remove the cake from the fridge and start sprinkling the chocolate on top of the cake and using your hands stick the chocolate to the sides of the cake. It will be kind of sticky but keep doing it and the chocolate will stick fine.
12. Decorate the cake with cherries and keep it in the fridge. This cake is very moist and sets well when kept in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Here are some of the other versions of the black forest cake I had prepared for my nephews over the years.