I added this recipe to my blog because this is one delicious Poondu kolambu that our friend Kavitha used to make for us on demand and we loved to eat it with rice any time. It reminds me of the good times when we met for potlucks, celebrations and conversations in San Diego. Its very simple, delicious comes with good memories and hence makes me want to prepare it all the time.
Garlic - 12
Onion small or big 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1
Curry leaves a few
Green Chillis - 2
Tamarind water - 2 cups
Asafoetida powder a few shakes
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Sombu - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeks - 1/2 tsp
oil- 1/4 cup
1. Heat the oil in the wok and allow it to heat up. Yes you need some oil for this one because it makes all the difference.
2. Then add asafoetida powder, Sombu, fenugreek seeds,garlic and onion, salt and cook it until the onion and garlic get cooked and golden brown.
3. Add 1 tomato and cook for a minute.
4. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder,coriander powder and cook it until the masala flavor goes away for some time.
5. Add the tamarind juice and curry leaves and cilantro and cook.
6. The consistency that we are looking for is a sauce and not the watery kind. The oil will surface when it is done.
7. Serve it with hot rice and potato fry.Its simply "outstanding"