I have been making this paneer dish since 2004 and every time it has been served people love it and think its a very difficult dish to prepare.Please do not get intimidated by the list of ingredients. Its with ingredients from you pantry and super easy.My friends are really crazy about this dish and some of them modify it by frying the paneer while some others want it the exact way I make it.Another reason that I am adding this to my blog is because my husband's aunt wanted me to share the recipe with her and I decided to add it here for easy access any time.
Lid for the Wok
Paneer - 1 block that you can find in the Indian store. I always use non-nanak brand that I find in the Indian Store Ker in San Diego because the paneer is fresh and is able to absorbe the flovors well.If you can find only Nanak its ok to use it.
Bell Pepper -1 of (Red, Green, Yellow, Orange.If you do not have all the colors use what you can find it just the same. Its more for the color that I use than for anything else.
Garlic - 5 cloves
Ginger - 1 inch
Onion- 1 chopped
Green Chillis - 3 (slit lengthwise each into 4 peices)
Note:If you want to control the level of spice remove the seeds from the chillis and then use.
Cashew Nut - as much as you like (optional)
Cilantro - 1/4 cup chopped
Kasturi methi - for garnish 1 tbsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Pepper- 1/8th tsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp (for more spice add more if u want)
Cumin powder- 1 tbsp
Corriander powder - 1tbsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Milk or fesh cream - 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee (clarified butter) - 1 tbsp
1. Heat the wok and add some ghee in it.When they are heated add the cashew nuts and roast them a little and remove them and keep them in a plate for later.
OPTION: You can add roasted cahews too if you have. Skip this step and then follow the recipe.
2. In the same wok add 1 tbsp oil and the green chillis to it and fry for 1 minute.Remove it and keep in the plate with the cashews.
3. Add the remaining oil to the Wok. When that heats up add freshly chopped ginger garlic or the paste, onions and cook with little salt until the onions are well cooked.
4. Add tomatoes to it and cook well until the tomatos are mushy.
5. Add the spices, cumin powder, corriander powder, chilli powder, pepper, tuemeric powder and cook well for 2 minutes.
6. Add the bell peppers that are been julliened and cook a little until you feel the rawness has gone. You dont want to over cook them and make them lose the crunch.
7. Add milk/cream and sugar to it and mix well.
8. Add the chopped paneer (either into cubes or long strips) and mixx it well with the above veggies.
9. Turn off the heat and cover the wok with the lid allowing the paneer to get cooked in the heat.
10. Open after 3 minutes and add cilantro and kasthuri methi to it and mix well. Check to see if it has enough salt.
11. Garnish with cashew nuts and green chillis.
12. Serve it with hot chapathi's or wonderful Naan(For those who want Naan try Trader Joe's Naan from the freezer section, they are pretty good)