I have been making this pasta since 2004 after tasting the salad one of my husbands co-workers wife made for me when I had my baby. I have changed some of the ingredients since and created a salad that is very healthy and tasty. Seriously it just takes time to chop the veggies other than that its a breeze. A favorite among my nieces and nephews. My nephew Nikhil enjoys it the most. He is so happy just looking at the big bowl of pasta I have made for him so many times. A true crowd pleaser and most enjoyed at parties. Most people become my friend after they taste this pasta.
Came across JFI-Garlic contest in Mathy's Virundhu and decided to enter this pasta salad.
Big bowls to mix the pasta salad
Pots to make pasta
Pasta (bow tie, fussili)from Trader Joe'- 1 packet
Note:There are a lot of ingredients with which pasta are made these days. For people with allergies use rice pasta, for health buffs use multi grain and for those who can have anything just go with the good organic brand please.
EVOO (EXtra Virgin Olive Oil)- A few table spoons
Bell Pepper( Red, Green, Yellow, Orange)- 1 medium size of each (you can do with what you can find in the store its more for the cosmetic look that I chose different colors)
Spring onions- 2
Red Onions or shallots - one hand full finely chopped or 1/2 cup
Olives - 1 tin sliced.
Celery- 2 sticks finely chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves minced well
Tomatoes - 2 deseeded and chopped
Cucumber - deseeded 1 cup unless English cucumber
Avocado - 1/2 cup
Sub Dried tomatoes chopped - as much as you like.(Trader Joe's has the best sun dried tomatoes in a bottle with the oil)
Walnuts - 1 cup chopped (optional if you have allergies)
Pine nuts - 1/2 cup ( slightly roasted)
Almonds - Sliced 1/2 cup
Raisons - 1/2 cup
Basil - 1 tbsp
Oregano - 1 tbsp
Rosemary - 2 tsp
Dill - 1 tsp
Pasta seasoning - 2 tsp from Trader Joe's(optional but adds great flavor)
Pepper as per taste
Water for pasta
1. Cook pasta in water according to the instructions on the back.
2. It would take about 10 minutes, In the mean time please chop the onion, bell pepper, shallots or spring onions, cucumber, tomatoes and slice olives using my favourite chopper from Bed Bath and Beyond or LNT.It cuts the chopping time by half and makes your salad look amazing.
3. Add the nuts too and wait for the pasta to be cooked.
4. When the pasta is cooked add EVOO,mix them all up with the spices mentioned.
and mix it with the veggie mixture and nuts.
5. Allow it to cool and refrigerate or if you like it warm grab a fork and bowl and enjoy this healthy salad.