"Pori" (puffed rice) is one memorable snack from my childhood. There are three people who have made it so for me. My grandmother "Tiruppur Manni", Sarasu who worked at our house and our family friend "Aatha". These three women offered it as a snack to me. During vacation pori and peanuts at Tiruppur was so tasty and had its own flavor. At home, when Sarasu used to sell pori and pattani (dried peas) and bring back the remaining to give me some made me feel very happy. Aatha, totally changed the plain pori into something magical by adding some ingredients that made it a very spicy,salty and tasty snack. Its been so long since I had pori and thinking of this wonderful snack I decided to make some the other day. I even made a cone from old news paper and added some pori into it to get the whole experience.
Pori ( Puffed rice ) -3 cups
Garlic - 6 thinly sliced
Curry leaves - some whole leaves
Peanuts - 1 1/2 cups
Roasted Channa dhal (pottu kadala)- 1/2 cup
Sun Flower seeds - 1/2 cup ( my addition to the recipe)
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 1/2 tsp (add more if you want it spicy)
Dry red chilli - 2
Mango powder -1 tsp
Asafoedita- 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
1. Heat the Wok to medium high and add oil.
2. When the oil warms up add asafoedita, mustard seeds and allow for them to pop.
3. Then add garlic, and cook them for a min.
4. Add peanuts and roast them for 3-4 minutes then add roasted channa dhal, red chillis, turmeric,chilli powder, sun flower seeds, salt and curry leaves.
5. Add the pori and coat it well with all these ingredients. The pori that is white will turn light yellow.
6. Roast it for 2 minutes and then serve it hot or allow it to cool and store it in a tin or ever silver box and have it with tea or coffee any time.
Health tip: When you have cold if you eat Pori the cold will disappear faster.