Idli and Dosai's are wonderful to eat, but sometimes when we are left with just 2 cups of batter at the end we often wonder what we can make out of it. Idli/Dosai does not taste great with this batter because, the dough is not fresh and is a little sour. One delicious way to use up the batter is by making uranda dosai. It is a prefect make ahead appetizer, for pot lucks, with afternoon tea or like the Horlicks ad(in Tamil)puts it "appadiye sapuduvain"(eat it as is). Made these 2 days ago with my daughter. She was so fascinated that she could get something round,but tasted like crunchy dosai on the outside but soft like idli on the inside. A must try if you enjoy idli/dosai.
Kuzhi appam stone/kallu
Tea SpoonSkewer/stick Table Spoon
Cutting Board Knife
Dosa/Idli batter - 2 cups ( old or new batter can be used)
Onion (Red)- 1/2 chopped finely into cubes
Cilantro- 1 tsp chopped
Green Chillis- 1 or 2 depending on the spice you like chopped
Asafoetida - a few shakes
Ginger- finely grated or chopped
Rava - 1tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - a little
1. In a bowl add onions, chillis, cilantro, asafoetida, salt, ginger, rava and the dosa batter and mix it well.
2. Place the appum stone on the stove and turn the heat on to medium -high.I used the non-stick appam stone, if you have the iron one add oil to it and then pour the batter, in the non-stick one all you need is to spray a little oil and then add the mix.
3. If need be add some oil to each uranda dosai.When you see that they are done using a stick and a spoon flip them over and allow them to cook.
4. Once they are done remove with the spoon and plate them.
5. Serve them hot (they taste the best then) with chutney and sauce.