Very excited to start blogging again. Changed my blog layout and I am still working on cleaning it up. Its fun to change the layout once in a while. Please do leave me a feed back on my layout. While I was busy making the changes, my sister Sowmya suggested to me to try making her friend Madhavi 's fenugreek thogayal recipe. So, after a week I made the thogayal. I liked the flavor of methi in the thogayal, perfect with curd rice or rasam. Another healthy thogayal to enjoy and add to our daily diet.
Blender or Food Processor
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Fenugreek - 1 bundle ( use the leaves and if the stem is tender add them) or 2 fists full
Tamarind - small lemon size
Oil - 1 tbsp
Channa Dal - 3 tbsp
Udad Dal - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida - a small bit
Green chillies - 3 ( red chillies and green chillies can also be used in combination)
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds - 2 tsp
Coconut - 2 tbsp
Water - very little for grinding thogayal.
1. Wash the leaves, drain and dry the leaves.
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add asafoetida, channa and udad dal. When they get lightly toasted, add the cumin, pepper, coriander chillies and roast them well.
3. Turn the heat and add the leaves on to the pan and mix them well. The leaves will get wilted in the heat. This is very important else a raw taste will show up in the thogayal. Add in the coconut and tamarind.
4. Grind the thogayal into a paste ( I like it to have some texture) by adding very little water.
5. Serve with regular meals on the side.