Upma is a comfort food for me. It is simple, healthy, easy and gets done in 15 minutes. This is the reason why most people resort to preparing it when they are not in the mood to cook or have no time. My sisters and I love upma and we are particularly fond of semiya upma. We just rejoice in the thought of having it any time. Today, when I was talking to my sister, I mentioned that I was going to make semiya puma. She immediately told me that she loves it especially with tomatoes in it. Every family in south India would have their own upma recipe, and each one likes it in a particular way. Since it is one of my favorite tiffin, dinner, lunch or anytime snack, I thought it was important to blog it for my sisters and me. If you have not tried this upma or don't know how to make it, try this recipe and let me know if you enjoyed it, as much as I did.
Heavy bottom vessel or kadai
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Roasted Semiya / Vermicelli - 1 cup ( if you have the regular one please roast it in the wok until it turns into a golden brown color)
Onion - 1 medium size thinly sliced
Red Dry Chillies - 3 or green chillies or both
Curry Leaves - 4
Tomato - 1 ( deseeded and chopped into big bits)
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder - a few shakes
Udad Dal and Channa Dal - 1/4 cup together
ginger - 1 inch finely chopped
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cashew nut - 8
Water - 1 3/4 - 2 cups depending on the brand you use. (Personally, I use 2 cups because I like it a little moist because as it cools down they go a little dry)
1. Turn on the kettle with 2 cups of water. In the meantime place the wok or kadai on the stove on medium heat.
2. Thinly slice the onions and get the tomatoes ready.
3. Heat the wok with some oil. Add asafoetida, mustard seeds and chillies. Once the mustard pops add the udad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and cashew nuts. Allow it to turn golden brown and add the onions and ginger. ( 3 minutes)
4. Once the onions are cooked add the roasted semiya and mix it well. Add salt and water. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and allow the vermicelli to cook. ( 3 minutes).
5. Add the chopped tomatoes allow it to mix with the tomatoes and serve it hot.