I love anything made with Sabudana be it Kheer/ Payasum . The fluffy texture and its pretty beaded appearance makes it enjoyable to eat and easy on the eye. For some reason I always felt it to be a little tricky when it came to using this ingredient. Soaking it in the right amount of water over 12 hours I think makes it fluff to the right texture. The addition of peanuts takes it to the next level and has made it one of my favorite tiffin items to prepare. It was not until I tasted my friend Dhanu's mothers sabudana kichidi, that I was completely hooked. I had to ask Dhanu for the recipe and and see if I could recreate the taste. Well, I think I like what I made and decided to share it. For those who are not aware of sabudana kichidi, please do try it. I am sure you will not regret it.
Heavy Wok/ Kadai
Measuring cups and spoons
Sabudana - 1 cup (use the white one verses the pale one)
Water - Just enough to cover the sabudana
Roasted Peanuts - 1 cup chopped roughly into small pieces.
Green Chillis - 2
Potato - 1 cut thinly into small pieces
Cumin - 1 tsp
Ghee/ Browned Butter - 1 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon juice
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Soak the sabudana in water over night ( 12 hrs). The water must cover it enough for it to fluff up.
2. Heat the wok and add ghee and oil.
3. Add jeera, green chillis and potatoes
4. Cook until the potatoes roast well.
5. Add sabudana ,lemon juice, salt, sugar and roasted peanuts.
6. Mix well and cover and cook on low flame.
7. Garnish with cilantro and serve it hot.