Last weekend we were trying to get over our mild cold and wanted to have some soup. I opened one of my Vegetarian cook books and looked at this recipe with corn and bell pepper. I liked it for its simplicity and so adapted its method to prepare this soup . I tried it out and I must say it was very comforting, tasty and had a good flavor. I made almost 2 and 1/2 quarts and it was all gone in 30 minutes. If you like cilantro this one is a winner. One thing though, I think its important to use frozen corn instead of fresh because its important not to have a lot of husk remains in the soup. My entry to No Croutons Required :Soup for this month.
Heavy bottom pan
Measuring cups and spoons
Oil - 1 tbsp
Butter - 1 tbsp
Red Onion - 1
Red Bell Pepper - 1
Roma Tomato - 1
Frozen Corn - 2 cups
Cilantro - 1 bunch (use the whole bunch)
Green Chilli - 1 ( remove seeds
All purpose flour or Rice flour - 1 tbsp
Vegetable Broth - 2 -3 cups
Fresh Cream or whole milk - 1/2 cup
1. Heat the pan with oil and butter. Add chopped onions, red bell pepper, tomato, green chillis, corn, cilantro( with the stem) and salt. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until they are cooked.
2. Add all purpose flour and mix well and cook for a few minutes and remove from heat.
3. Add the vegetable broth and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
4. Cool and blend them into a puree. Pour it back into the pan and add fresh cream and cook on low to heat it up.
5. Serve it hot with any bread or sandwich.I served with lavash roll ups.