A few days ago I came across a bread soup recipe on the cooking show " French Food At Home". I wanted to try the recipe because it appeared to be simple and appetizing. The original recipe used duck fat and garlic only. Since I am a vegetarian, I used ghee and olive oil to prepare the soup. I also added some onions because, I love the taste of onions in soups. The soup was very light, delicious and I love the crunch from the bread soaked in the soup. A very simple soup to make for sure.
Garlic - 6 pods minced
Onions - 2 medium size sliced
Crushed Peppers - 1/4 tsp
Black Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Basil - 1 tbsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Salt to taste
Vegetable Broth - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups
Ghee - 1 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Day Old Baguette - a few slices
Cheese - your choice grated 1 tsp
1. Heat a stock pot with some oil and ghee.
2. Add garlic and onions to the pot and give it a good mix. Turn the heat to medium and give it a mix.
3. Cook until the onion start to get transparent. Add water and broth and allow it to simmer.
4. Add salt, peppers, bay leaf and bring to cook for 10 minutes. Add basil and give it a mix.
5. Cut the baguette into slices and toast it in the bread toaster.
6. Ladle the soup into a bowl. Place 2 slices of bread over it and serve it hot with some grated cheese ( I skipped this part , but the rest of the family had it). The bread will soak in all the liquid and taste delicious.