This weekend I am very excited that I am visiting my friends and family. No matter what material gifts I bring to family and friends, I am most happy when I bring them something specially prepared from my kitchen. With the intention of buying some base ingredients for my snack preparation, I visited my local Indian store. There I saw a whole stash of Indian snacks and I thought maybe this time around, I could buy some snacks. Just then, I discovered a big bag of puffed whole wheat. It resembled a giant puffed rice or a capsule. Curious I picked up the packet and decided to make something with it. For all those who are looking for a healthy snack here is one. It was greatly enjoyed by everyone who received as gifts.
Heavy Wok, Kadai
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Puffed Whole Wheat - 4 cups
Peanuts - 2 cups
Raisins - 1 cup
Curry Leaves - a hand full
Dried Cilantro - 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Garlic Powder - 2 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder - 1/2 tsp
No Salt need to be added as the puffed whole wheat has a lot in it
Green Chillies - 4 diced
Sugar - a few pinches
1. Heat the wok with some oil ( enough to roast the peanuts) and roast the peanuts.
2. Add asafetida, chilli and turmeric powder, green chillies and curry leaves and give it a toss for a few seconds.
3. Add the puffed whole wheat to it and allow for the spice mix to coat each puffed whole wheat.
4. Keep toasting the puffed wheat on low flame until it gets very crunchy and crisp.
5. Toss in the dried cilantro, raisins and sugar and give it a toss.
6. Serve it warm for snack with tea or cool them in a bowl and then store in a air tight container.