I am sure most of you are aware of kosmalli. Carrot kosmalli is very popular in south Indian cuisine. The fruit kosmalli is something that I tried in the last minute and happened to liked it a lot. I just finished a bowl of this salad for lunch and was pleasantly surprised by the lightness and freshness of it that I decided to blog about it. I personally think that simple side dishes get more appreciation and therefore enhances the meal served. Especially when you have last minute guests, this is a perfect salad to prepare and serve with any kind of food in a jiffy. I am a big fan of blending salty, spicy and sweet ingredients in salads. So the next time if you are wondering how to make any meal special, try this one and you will start making it more often. My daughter tells me that the photos look perfect for the holidays.
Seasoning Ladle or wok
Moong Dal- 1/2 cup
Pomogranate - 1/2 cup
Grapes - 1/2 cup sliced
Green Chillies - 1 ( if its too much spice substitute black pepper powder)
Lemon Juice - a dash
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1 tsp ( optional)
Water - Enough to soak Moong Dal
Oil - 2 tsps
Cilantro or mint - 1 tbsp chopped finely.
1. Soak the Moong dal in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In the meantime mix the fruits in a bowl.
3. Heat the season wok and add mustard seeds and asafetida. Allow to pop and add to the fruits.
4. Mix the moong dal and fruits mixture. Add a dash of lemon and season with salt.
5. Add black pepper powder or slices of green chillies and garnish with cilantro. Serve on the side with any kind of food.