Happy New Year to everyone who visits my blog. Its nice to get back to blogging after the winter break. Decided to start this new year with something sweet, delicious and healthy and wish that all of you have a wonderful year filled with laughter, good health, peace, happiness and delicious food. Most moong dhal kheer have some of the following ingredients: jaggery, milk, moong dhal, cardamon, coconut, ghee or butter and nuts in their recipe. The kheer I prepared had most of the above ingredients, but I must mention that instead of milk I used a can of carnation milk and for the nuts slivered almonds along with some cashews. This was the best part of the kheer. I loved the texture the almonds created. It tasted best hot off the stove.
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Moong Dhal - 1 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Water - 2 1/2 cups for Moong dhal and 3/4 cup for melting jaggery
Cardamon - 6 pods
Carnation Milk - 1 can
Fresh Grated Coconut - 1/4 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Slivered Almonds/ Cashews - 1/3 cup
1. In a pressure pan add 2 1/2 cups of water. Add the moong dhal and pressure cook to 3 whistles.
2. Melt jaggery in water and filter the liquid to remove the sediments in the bottom.
3. When the dhal is cooked add the jaggery water and allow it to boil on low for 3 minutes.Add the grated coconut and cook for another 3 minutes.
4. Add carnation milk and mix well allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
5. In a seasoning wok add ghee and lightly roast the nuts. Add them to the kheer.
6. Crush the cardamon pods and powder the seeds and garnish, Serve hot.