Aviyal is a side dish that is delicious and is very common to South Indian cuisine.The dish is very simple to prepare and goes well with rice, sambar, rasam or adai ( lentil crepes). A mixture of vegetables cooked with yogurt, coconut and chillies is a true comfort food to most people from that region. Each family has its own recipe. It differs mainly in the kind of spices added..This avial recipe comes from my mother in law Mrs.Pushpa Yegneswaran's kitchen. I have made it often and decided to document it.
Measuring cup and spoons
Heavy bottom vessel
Vegetables ( potato, raw banana(vazhakkai), carrot, beans, egg plant, Sweet pumpkin, Winter pumpkin, Drum stick) cut thin and even - 5 cups
Fresh coconut - 1/2 coconut grated
Chillies (red or green ) - 1 ( add more for spice)
Yogurt - 2 cups
Coconut oil - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a few
1. Cook the veggies in a heavy bottom vessel with some salt.
2. Grind the coconut, chillies with a little yogurt into a paste.
3. Add this paste to the cooked veggies and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add the yogurt on top and mix well.
5. Heat the coconut oil in a spoon, ad curry leaves and add it to vegetable mix. Serve it hot with rice.