I dislike using the blender unless it is really necessary, maybe because I do not like the clean up process after that.I have been trying to find easy recipes for Mor Kolazmbu. Most recipes call for soaking some ingredients and grinding them before preparing the Kolazmbu which takes time. Last month I experimented with a few powders which resulted in this easy but very delicious Mor kolazmbu.My sister and my mom think its really simple and very very delicious that they make it every week.
Heavy Bottom Pan.
Veggies - 3/4(Okra/ladies finger,potato,carrot,bell pepper,chow chow,pumpkin etc)
Mustard - 1tsp
Methi Seeds - 1/2tsp
Curry leaves - 5
Powdered dry coconut- 1tsp (optional)
Jeera Powder- 2tsp
Coriander Power - 1tsp
Salt as per taste
Asifotida powder - 1/8th tsp
Dry chilli - 1
Turmeric- 1/2 tsp.
Curd/ Yogurt or Trader Joe Butter milk - 1 and 1/2 cups
Water - 1/2 cup.
1. Heat a heavy bottom vessel and add oil to it.
2. Add Asifotita powder, and mustard seeds and wait for them to pop.
3. As the mustard seeds start to pop add the red chili and methi seeds.
4. Add curry leaves and then the cut veggies for eg. carrots.
5. Mix the carrot with the seasoning and then add jeera powder,coriander powder, turmeric,salt,coconut and mix it well so that all the carrots are coated with the seasoning.
6. Add water and allow the carrots to cook well for 3 minutes.
7. Once the carrot is cooked turn off the stove.
8. Let the vessel cool for a min and then add the curd/ yogurt /buttermilk.
9. Mix well and serve with hot rice.
A note on the butter milk. If you have a Trader Joe's near your town use their butter milk.It reminds me of the buttermilk I used to drink in India.