Sometimes, we plan on making certain things for dinner and then our plans go through the roof. So the vegetables that we plan on using for that dinner remains unused. Such was the case last week. I had the eggplant, swiss chard and some potatoes that needed to be used. So the next day for dinner, I decided to roast the eggplant and potatoes and add the swiss chard to make a subzi which we all enjoyed with rotis.
Organic Red Potatoes - 4 Peeled and cut into chunks
Eggplant - 1 Large into big chunks making sure every piece has skin on one side
Organic Swiss Chard - 1 Bundle cut into think ribbons.
Dry Red Chillies - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
1. Make sure the the oven rack is inserted to the second level in the oven. Set the oven on broil high.
2. In a baking tray, add the chopped potatoes and eggplant. Drizzle a tbsp of oil and broil for 10 minutes. By this time the top of the veggies must appear golden brown and roasted.
3. Gently flip the veggies using a flat spatula and broil the other side for another 6 minutes. Remove from the oven.
4. Add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan. Add mustard seeds, allow it to crackle, add asafoetida, chillies and cumin seeds. Add the swiss chard and cook until the swiss chard starts to wilt.
5. Add the rest of the broiled veggies, salt and mix well with the swiss chard. Allow it to cook on medium low for a few minutes, and serve them hot with roti, rice etc.