I had a packet of Arborio rice sitting in my pantry for over 2 months. Originally I wanted to make risotto but since I was out of white wine at home I decided to make a veggie rice with it. I have never cooked this rice before but I know that it was very starchy from watching food network. One of those moments which called me to go with the tide and come up with something that I have never prepared before. Used a lot of carrots, bell pepper, peanuts, rice bread croutons to make the rice. I thought it tasted a little like vangi bath and a little like Chinese fried rice. Did I like this one? Yes especially when it had peanuts and crunchy rice croutons in them.
Measuring cup and Spoon
Saucepan with a lid
Arborio rice - 2 cups
Carrots - 2 cups finely chopped into tiny cubes
Bell Pepper - 1 cut in the same size as carrots
Peanuts - 1 cups toasted or roasted
Green Chilli - 1 ( add more for extra spice)
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 1 tbsp
Udad dhal - 1 tbsp
Vangi bath powder - 2 tsp
Maggi chilli garlic sauce - 1/4 cup ( or add to your taste)
Spring onions - 2 tbsp
Water = 3 cups
Oil - 2 tbsp
Rice Bread - 4 silces toasted and cubed
1. Soak rice in water for 20 minutes and drain.
2. Boil the water in a saucepan with some salt and then cook the rice on medium low covered for 15- 20 minutes.
3. Heat the wok and add some oil. when the oil warms up add mustard seeds (allow it to pop) and then some channa dal, udad dhal and green chillis.
4. When the dhal turn golden brown add carrot and bell pepper and cook well. Add vangi bath and the maggi sauce and mix well.
5. Add the cooked rice and coat it well with the veggie mix.
6. Add roasted peanuts, croutons and spring onions and serve it hot.