On Thursday I was all set to make lasagna only to realize that I was out of spinach. I found a bag of mini peppers instead and used that to make my lasagna. As my daughter is in the picky stage and refuses to eat peppers I had to find a way to incorporate them into her diet. I cooked and made the peppers into a paste before mixing it with ricotta cheese. This was the filling that I used to make lasagna rolls. Added some chilli powder to make it spicy as the mini peppers were very sweet and baked after adding one jalapeno on top.
Measuring cups and spoons
Mini peppers - 3 cups chopped
Ricotta Cheese - 2 cups
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Jalapeno - as required
Milk - 1 /12 cup
Pesto sauce - 1 packet mix from Cost plus or 1 cup of white sauce
Cheese that melts well - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
Garlic - clove
Whole wheat lasagna strips - 12
Water to cook the lasagna
Ragu Marinara sauce - 1/2 bottle
1. Boil the water in the kettle and then pour it on to arranged lasagna strips on the baking sheet. Cover and allow it to get soft for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the wok with oil and add the garlic. Cook that well and then add the mini peppers well and then blend them into a paste.
3. Mix the ricotta cheese and bell pepper, salt, pepper, chilli powder.
4. Mix milk and the pesto sauce mix in a sauce pan and cook in on low flame while constantly mixing it with a spatula. Wait for the sauce to thicken and remove from heat and pour into the rectangle baking dish.
5. Take each lasagna strip and place it on the cutting board, add about 1 1/2 tbsp of the pepper ricotta cheese mix and spread it well along he length of the lasagna, roll it and then place it in the rectangle baking dish.
6. When all 12 are rolled pour some marinara sauce on top of them and sprinkle the cheese, place a jalapeno on top and cover with an aluminum foil.
7. Bake in the oven at 425 for 30 minutes and then remove the aluminum foil and cook at 400 degrees for another 15 minutes to get the cheese toasted.
8. Serve it hot with some Italian bread.